Friday, July 16, 2010

Tortilla House


As part of our orientation, we had a day around the Ranch. New volunteers were working in the gardens, the kitchen, the farm, etc. Leila and I were assigned to the tortilla house. I hadn’t worked there as a visitor, so I was kind of excited. We started at 7:00 a.m. and finished at noon. We took out the soaked corn in batches and washed it until the water was clear. Doña Gloria (who has worked at the Ranch tortilleria for 16 years) put the soaked corn through a machine to make the dough. We kneaded the dough, put it through the tortilla maker, put the tortillas on the grill, flipped them, made tortilla towers, then finally counted them out and bagged them. Now, you all know how much I like finding things I’m not good at (sarcasm font), and the tortilla maker is way harder than it looks. Eventually, I figured it out, but I was still slow and lots of mine turned out ugly. Alana (the adorable año familiar who works there) told me I was a quick learner, but she also spent most of the time saying, “Te ayudo, Kimmie?” I was so not designed for hard labor, but I did enjoy working with my hands at least for one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment