Sunday, July 11, 2010

There are many things I'm good at...

but using a machete to cut grass is not one of them. All the kids here wield those things like experts. I spent all day yesterday with Hermanas de Jesus (girls 14-16), and the morning was passed doing chores. I tried my hand at it, but the girls laughed hysterically every time I attempted it. The afternoon was much more my style. We sat on the floor and played jacks while one of the girls beaded me a bracelet (they are highly amused by the size of my wrists). My favorite moment was the first time I passed “2s.” There was a huge chorus of “Eso!” After dinner, we went down to talleres to watch a movie. Dania, who is 14 or so, snuggled up next to me and ended up putting her head in my lap and falling asleep. We were free to leave at 9:00, but I stayed until the end of the movie so as not to disturb her. No, I’m not getting paid nor am I expected to work hours outside my already ridiculous schedule, but I reminded myself that I’m here to build relationships with these kids, and that’s exactly what I did.

We spent Friday in the capital (Tegucigalpa). We basically went on a tour of all the different places. Even though I’ve been there before, it was overwhelming. Trip led my group, and he was a great tour guide. He kind of reminds me of my dad in his way of thinking and also the way he can fix just about anything. He helped me get oriented and to connect the places I’d already been. We ended up eating a delicious lunch at the Duncan Mayan. Oddly enough, it’s the place Alina and I had breakfast when we were wandering around Tegus lost last year. I’m so proud of myself for having comida tipica instead of a hamburger. I also got to spend the day with my friend Juan Luis who I met last year. He came to the Ranch just in time to accompany us back to Tegus and be my secondary tour guide/protector. I got a cell phone (hurray!) and had him set it all up for me. I love having Honduran friends. I called Rafa to give him my number; he must have been with Chele because he called me right after to give me his. I think it’s funny that my friends here are 20-25 year old pequeños (they grew up in NPH). Don’t get excited though - not romantic interests. It’s prohibido anyway.

Today has been great so far. I LOVE my volunteer group. Leila, Marie, and I spent the morning making banana pancakes in the San Vicente kitchen and listening to Jack Johnson. Delicious. Then, we girls cleaned our room; we wanted it to look nice for the last new volunteer who comes today. Awesome moment of the day – singing along to Glee in the shower. We just got back from watching the World Cup Final with the whole Ranch, and I'm looking forward to a restful afternoon.

1 comment:

  1. Kimmie reading your blog I feel like I'm there with you. You're such a great descriptive writer. I love your sense of adventure. I hope all continues to go this well.

    ReplyDelete