Thursday, July 22, 2010

And the winner is...

Hijas de Pilar! We got our hogar assignments yesterday, and I got the 18-20 year-old girls. I am really excited because they are just one up from my favorite hogar, Inmaculadas. I actually didn’t get to visit Pilares during my hogar tour. Both those hogars eat together in the upper girls’ house, and several of the Inmaculadas will pass to my hogar in January. I ended up getting this hogar because I am one of the oldest volunteers, I have experience with girls that age (when I coached dance team I learned a lot of good lessons), and I was confident in my ability to have boundaries with the girls. So I’m feeling pretty good about that. I had dinner with them last night, and I loved the conversation. They asked me about my family and told me about theirs; it was wonderful. I think I’m on good terms with the tias already, and I’m looking forward to my work weekend with the girls.

We also finally got our Olimpiadas team. I’m on Team #1. The theme is places of interest in Honduras. We got Pulapanzak, which is a waterfall, and our virtue is peace. I’m so excited for my team. We have the cutest little ones, Dulce Milagro and Benjamin. I get to be with Magda from my hogar, and she’s a sweetheart. Also, por pura suerte, my godson Axel is with me! Last year, I got to be with Laura’s goddaughter Rosa Lilian, and we managed to be together again. Juan from Discipulos was on our team last year too, and when I walked in, he said, “Kimmie’s on our team! We’re going to win!” (At the presentation/dance, not the games, of course.)

Other good news: I am rooming with Marie, and I have turno (weekends off) with Leila!!

Today, we celebrated the Day of the Indian at school. This means a significant amount of instructional time has been wasted creating elaborate posters and historically and culturally inaccurate costumes. I will post some on Facebook for your viewing pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment