Wednesday, July 14, 2010

My Boys

So we’ve been doing a tour of the hogars, and I noticed that none of the girls were scheduled to visit Discipulos (the oldest boys). I thought it would be a really good idea to request to eat with them one night because I met them two years ago when they were in Arca de Noe. I told Wilmer, Maynor, and Brian that they’d have to protect me when I came. So Monday night was the night, and I had started to worry. The reason they don’t have female volunteers visit is because the boys are so inappropriate and, let’s face it, gross. Well, they could not have been more tranquilo and respectful during my visit. They were very polite, and I met lots of new boys and reconnected with others. We talked about the World Cup and last year’s Olimpiadas. I can’t believe how many people remember me dancing! For dinner, we had menudo, complete with chicken feet. I saw one boy use a chicken foot as a spoon for his mantequilla (not butter as it translates, but rather a disgusting hybrid of sour cream and mayonnaise). Maynor took one look at my face and asked if I just wanted broth. Yes, please! After dinner, I became quite popular for helping with algebra homework. The boys made fresh-squeezed lemonade and made sure I got the biggest glass sweetened to my taste. I was kind of sad to leave when the other volunteers came to pick me up. I thanked them for the lemonade and company, and they thanked me for the help. I don’t care what anyone says – I love those boys!

No comments:

Post a Comment