Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Blogging It Up

But don’t get used to it. New volunteers get quite a bit of down time at first. That will all change in a few weeks, but I’m taking advantage of it now while I can.

Here are three lovely compliments I have received recently:
1)You speak like a Spaniard.
2)Your Spanish is very good.
3)You are like a fairy godmother.

Here are two things that suck:
1)Cold showers.
2)My bug bites are so heinous that I’m scratching them at night hard enough to leave bruises.

My birthday was great. Everyone remembered and wished me happy birthday. As part of orientation, we went for a 4-mile hike that I actually enjoyed (shocking, I know, since I am sort of an indoorsy girl, as Marie would say). When I got back from hogar, a bunch of the volunteers were waiting for me. Daniela had made me a poster and chocolate birthday cake. I got to blow out 11 candles (a 2 and a 9). It was so nice just to have it acknowledged, and between that and lovely e-mails from friends and family, I felt pretty darn special.

The best part of my birthday was tucking in the chiquitas in Casa Suyapa. They were pretty wild before and during dinner, but putting them to bed gave me the best warm fuzzy feeling ever. Their volunteer Anna had to take one of the girls to the clinic while I was there, so I ended up in the bedroom putting the little girls to bed. I had watched Anna singing to them and tucking them in before, so I took over where she left off. Sister, I totally joined her in “Part of Your World” from La Sirenita (The Little Mermaid). When I was by myself, I sang them “I See The Moon” just like my mommy used to. Little Gabi had the giggles, so I had her close her eyes while I rubbed and patted her back for several minutes, and she was asleep in no time. I had this overwhelming feeling of “this is why I’m here.” When Anna got back, they were almost all asleep. The tía told me I have magical powers (hence the fairy godmother comment). Totally amazing.

Today, I followed the volunteer who teaches English in Montessori. She’s not leaving and I’m not taking her position, but my job is new so I have no one to shadow. I did find out that I am officially working in first grade with Kenia, which is absolutely my dream job. All the Montessori teachers welcomed me back with open, loving arms. I can’t wait to set started!

No comments:

Post a Comment