Thursday, October 7, 2010

Dude for a Day

Sunday was my day off, and as I was walking to lunch with the boys (read: volunteers of the male persuasion), they asked me if I would like to go “exploring” on this 2000 acre ranch that we call home. To everyone’s surprise (myself included), I acquiesced. Our goal was to find a waterfall “the back way.” Little did I know this would involve vigorous (by my standards) climbing, getting slashed by a thorny bush (chicks dig scars), hacking my way through Honduran forests, and losing my footing and my bearings multiple times. Even though they admitted to me that they weren’t sure exactly how we were getting there, I felt safe and was able to appreciate the adventure. I quite enjoyed being regaled with movie quotes and the boys’ impressions: everything from Monty Python (“She turned me into a NEWT…I got better”) to Man vs. Wild (exceptionally relevant given the circumstances). We were quite the group: Climby Jason, Hoppy Bryan, Reasonable Pete, and Dragon Lady (that would be me, seeing as I’m Asian and all. We have apparently all lost any shred of political correctness we might once have possessed). And at the end we found a waterfall, joined up with the actual trail, and headed to the represa for a nice swim! After dinner, I was invited to join Guys’ Night, which involves being manly and watching war movies. I almost got kicked out for being a jerk, but I think that actually qualifies me more (that’s the bitter spinster in me speaking). Poor Jason is my substitute Bobby. He was making pancakes, and when I asked if I could have a bite, he had the nerve to say no. So, of course, I took the most perfect bite out of one and put it back on his plate. ¡QuĂ© big necia! Anyway, I really enjoyed the last two episodes of HBO’s The Pacific, and I can’t wait for next time (unnecessary parenthetical note here).

No comments:

Post a Comment