Friday, October 15, 2010

Apologies for the Blog Lull…or Blull (teehee)…

but I have recently been afflicted with a heinous trifecta of sinusitis, bronchitis, and flu. I’ve been feeling badly since Sunday, but it wasn’t until I spent the feriado (day off) Tuesday in bed and then vomited after getting ready for school on Wednesday, that I finally decided to go to the clinic. I got nebulized and am now on a ridiculous amount of medication (which may help to explain why I find things like “blull” so very funny). I hate being sick here because 1)it’s really boring and leaves me alone to do too much thinking and 2)I feel doubly guilty for missing both school and hogar. So upon realizing that I would not be able to fulfill my responsibilities, I was immediately attacked with ANTs (Automatic Negative Thoughts – thank you, Mom). I kept worrying about how lazy people would think I was and what an awful evaluation they’d be giving me. And I felt exceptionally bad because it was my hogar’s saint’s day, and I was supposed to make a cake. I had a lot of good pep talks from home and was reminded that I am a volunteer for heaven’s sake and that I would feel much worse if I got all the kids sick. That was able to tide me over until I got ahold of Mom to talk some sense into me and deal appropriately with my neuroses. Turns out I worried for nothing and that there is something about people being really nice to you that allows you to stop freaking out enough to actually get better: from Bryan refusing to let me do kitchen duty to my girls bringing me a box a food from the special dinner to Marie making me tea and meticulously picking the seeds out of my watermelon to Kenia being incredibly understanding to the doctor Merlin telling me I simply could not work for two days or more if needed (and I could be provided with a note) to volunteer nurse Laura buying and then making me chicken noodle soup to Tía Mirna telling me to take another day due to the “clima” to my boss’s husband telling me I look terrible and to go back to bed. Well, maybe not actually that last one. I felt well enough to go to work today and at least fake it. Hopefully, I’m on the mend!

1 comment:

  1. I think you went back to work too soon!!!

    Be kind to yourself for a few more days, please.

    Hugs and kisses [through a mask],

    Grammy

    ReplyDelete