Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Teaching

Since I got back from vacation, I’ve been working two days a week in second grade and three days in first grade. I have definitely had my frustrations this year, mostly with the kids’ behavior, but the lack of resources also makes me feel sometimes like I’m teaching with one hand tied behind my back. But as my volunteer year comes to a close, I’m reflecting on the changes I have been able to make and feel positive about them, especially in regards to teaching methodology and instructional strategies.

I feel like I’ve brought read-aloud to the forefront of instruction here. Kenia always tells me how much she enjoys hearing me read, and the kids always ask me to. I was able to start a Word Wall of words kids should be reading at first glance. We do ten a week on flashcards, and then I put them on the wall for them to practice. For the kids who struggle the most, I did an oral reading fluency take-home activity so they could practice every day with their tíos. For our science theme, we’re studying living things versus nonliving things. I introduced the idea of a Venn diagram, and the students did really well with it, although it was really hard at first. I also had the kids create a personal coat of arms when we studied the individual. The other day, the kids were getting a talking to after yanking the tail off a poor little gecko. All they wanted to do after that was talk about experiences they’d had with animals, so I suggested they write about it. I did an example on the board, we shared ideas, and I sent them off tow work. I was so pleased with their ideas, although I was as usual frustrated by the demand for perfection in spelling in first grade when, for me, ideas have always held more weight. Imagine my delight when I came back from teaching second grade and Kenia was having the kids write their own “avisos” after sharing her own example. She told them that the most important thing was that they were writing and that content is what counted!!

In second grade, I’m working on eliminating round robin reading. The kids lose their place, those who struggle get embarrassed, and those who already read well get bored. I started with a cloze read, where I read aloud and leave out a word which the kids then supply chorally. They seem to be really engaged with that strategy. I’m using questioning strategies to get the kids to make predictions and draw conclusions, since they are really lacking in analysis. I really like that the teacher Xiomara is open to new ideas and asks me to show her strategies. The other day, she was struggling to present an activity on volume and asked me to step in. I had a blast doing it, and the kids really surprised me with how well they understood it. We had several graduated cylinders of various sizes and they had to figure out different ways to make a liter. I was impressed with their use of fractions and repeated addition.
In turn, I’ve learned a lot from the teachers here. When I left Puyallup, I would have said that discipline and management were my strengths, but I have been challenged here in ways I never imagined. The amount of behavioral problems here is astounding, but Kenia has really helped me understand where the kids come from and why they behave the way they do. I now know how to manage not just one tough kid, but a whole classroom full of them. I can’t imagine running into any group of children more challenging than these. I’ve also benefitted from learning the Montessori method, and my work in younger grades will be a big help to me when I start teaching second grade this fall at Meeker Elementary in Puyallup.

No comments:

Post a Comment