Monday, May 16, 2011

Bellydance Comes to the Ranch

When I was home in January, I got all jazzed about the idea of teaching a bellydance class to the older girls on the Ranch. I packed music, some costuming, and zils donated by my former teacher Zanbaka. When I got back, I got permission to start classes. Anyway, for reasons I won’t go into on my blog, my initiative died a sad little death. I did end up showing some of my girls Zanbaka’s bellydance guidebooks where I am featured as the model, which they thought was pretty cool. One of those girls is an officer in the Youths in Action group on the Ranch. They were in charge of this weekend’s activities, including Saturday night’s talent show. When neither the tías in Talita Kumi nor the volunteers came up with a presentation, I was convinced (it didn’t take much) to perform. This was about 15 minutes before the event began, so good thing I studied tribal improvisation. I ran back to the house, where Miriam helped me get ready. I dressed like I did when I performed at Zeiger, so a little more conservative than normal. When I arrived at talleres, people asked me if I was dancing and if so with whom. What I got was lots of, “You’re dancing ALONE?” I was a little nervous; I’m not going to lie. This is something definitely outside of mainstream Honduran culture. It didn’t help that we had technical difficulties, but my music finally came on. When I took my position and the lights went down, I could hear little Jarvin’s voice saying, “Qué bonito!” I only danced for a few minutes, but I managed to have a good time and was really appreciative of the shouts of support from my girls. They really loved it and asked me when I was going to teach them to move like that. They were mesmerized by the zils, and Aida asked me who was playing, not realizing that I was doing it while I danced. My tía Delmy was especially impressed and said she really wished she’d learned to dance from me. It looks like there’s interest, so maybe there’s still time, despite the snail’s pace at which everything moves here. In any case, I got to strut my stuff, and we all know how much I like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment