Monday, May 16, 2011

Choluteca Weekend

This February, three girls from the Ranch were given the opportunity to bypass their year of service and go directly to bachillerato (high school) in Choluteca, a city about 3-4 hours south of Tegus by bus (it’s really close to the Nicaraguan border). They’ve been asking me when I’m going to come visit them, so I decided on the second weekend in March. It helps that one of my favorite kids of all time is there. Magda is such a rockstar. She really has it together. One of my favorite things about her is that she really stuck it to the machistas in talleres and insisted on being allowed to be in welding and then passed her national exams with flying colors. I left school at 1:00 p.m. on Friday and hopped on the bus to Tegus. I got off at El Mayoreo and quickly found a bus to Choluteca. Figuring out transportation all by myself is always a big confidence booster for me. This being Mother’s Day Weekend, the bus took forever to get to Choluteca. Magda must have called me 8 times to make sure I was okay and so she’d know when to meet me at the terminal. I got there a little after 7:00 p.m., and she and Heidy were both there to pick me up. We took a cab to the house where the three girls live. They are staying with the cousin of another pequeña and her three daughters (so with “family”). Ingrid welcomed me into her home and fed me lots of greasy food so that I would leave “bien gorda.” Two of the girls bunked together so I could have my own bed, and they set the fan up right next to me because Choluteca is notoriously hot. Those girls really know how to consentir. I didn’t carry my own bags, never washed my own dishes, and got scolded for making my own bed. And that little pumpkin Magda kept trying to pay for me when we went out. Heidy made me coffee Saturday morning, and then I took my first ever bucket shower. It was a little area outside, blocked off with sheets, those being the only things between me and the rooster next door. I was told to throw water on any of the dogs who tried to come in. After we got ready, Wendy, Magda and I headed to a nearby swimming pool with their friends from school. We were there pretty much all day. I felt shy around the friends because they spoke Spanish differently and really fast. Once we headed to the park in the late afternoon, they started to ask me questions, and we all warmed up to each other and had a great time. We spent the evening back at the house, where Heidy painted my nails for an hour. She’s a perfectionist and had to do an elaborate design. I think it’s a modern teenage Honduran equivalent of the washing of feet in the Bible. It’s an act of service and love. The girls sent me off Sunday morning with lots of hugs and requests for another visit. All in all, it was a lovely weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment