Sunday, April 10, 2011

El Batallon


Yesterday, we went on a field trip to the nearby military base. I went with my girls who aren’t in their year of service along with a bunch of the other kids. We met at 7:30 in talleres and went in two different bus trips, between which I sprinted with my girls back to my room to change into tennis shoes. When we arrived, they split the kids up into three different groups based on age. Our first activity was to line up in a military formation and learn commands. Easy peasy for me, thank you very much dance team and drill down. They then sat us down for some “classes.” They were given by some self-important future officers from the academy that I immediately disliked. Especially because one of them surprised me with a question I wasn’t ready for and I claimed not to speak Spanish well which led to him asking me every two seconds if I understood. I was not a happy camper. After two of these classes, we relaxed for a bit and so did the soldiers. They made the mistake of saying they spoke a lot of English and were studying it at the academy. I felt the need to call them out and the kids helped me pressure them into talking with me. They all lightened up, and we had a nice conversation, and they realized that my Spanish was actually quite good. From then on, we were friends. We had lunch there, and then headed off to the obstacle course. My height was quite an advantage and several of the older boys were impressed, which is not easily accomplished. We got to see where the snipers practice and where they do hostage rescue drills. We then walked back to the Ranch, tired and hot but contented.

No comments:

Post a Comment