Thursday, December 23, 2010

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas


Or at least feel like it. It's been really strange to sit under the sun and realize Christmas is in two days. But then I look around and see the Christmas trees, swags, nativity scenes, and lights, and I remember. The tíos really did an incredible job decorating. Tuesday was my last day off, and it was lovely. I watched Beauty and the Beast while I wrapped presents and put together bolsitas (little baggies with treats and small gifts - sort of like stockings) for the Pilares. My consentida came over around 11:00 to hang out. I made her french toast, and we played with her friend's puppy Clifford. In the evening, we had the Christmas dinner for Talita Kumi (all the girls). All the tías and volunteers wore red and put on Santa hats. Mine lit up, and I got a ton of attention for it. We all know how much I hate that. Dinner was so good. We had pork marinated in some kind of sauce with dried cherries, scalloped potatoes (!!!), salad, and flan. There was a bonfire, music, and I showed a PowerPoint I made of photos I took of the girls in El Salvador. When I got home and sat at the picnic table, my friend Juan Luis (who is a university student that I met on my trip last year and I haven't seen in months) popped by. He was quite taken aback by how much my Spanish had improved and gave me the best compliment ever - that I'm now speaking like a Honduran! These last few days, I've begun my role as tía. It's really easy in Pilares because they get themselves up, do their chores without much reminding, and head off to work while I hold the fort in the hogar. Pretty easy so far. Tonight is the volunteer Christmas dinner. Tomorrow will be a busy day - Christmas Eve is a bigger deal than Christmas Day. Estefany offered to give me Christmas Day off since she's leaving me alone and in charge when she goes to visit family the 26th-30th. I thought I might be lonely, but Tía Momo invited me to Christmas dinner at her house. So I'll be just fine. And I just might be filled with the Christmas spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment