Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Dia de Independencia




Today, we celebrated Independence Day. We took the WHOLE RANCH to the nearby town of Talanga. And let me just say to Puyallup that the Daffodil Parade has nothing on Talanga. I got up at 5:00 to make up the little girls who were going in costume. In the parade, NPH was represented with two carrozas (cars done up as floats), a group of little and big paleonas (baton twirlers), a colorguard, a percussion group, pompom girls, and each class from Pre-K to 6th grade was assigned a different theme such as Flora and Fauna or Heroes of Honduras. We had "Etnias" in first grade, so all our kiddos were dressed up as campesinos and indigenas. It was so precious! It was so hot and the march was pretty long. When we arrived at the end of the parade, we all had ice cream cones (the director nicely ignored that I bought one for my darling ahijado). We like to do a lot of "hurry up and wait," so while we were waiting for the bus, I ended up sitting on the dirty sidewalk with Gabi, Moises, and Carlos asleep on my lap. We got back at 1:00, and I was so upset because we were going to have to go back to school to work in Montessori. But we ended up having a lovely lunch of spicy Italian pasta, salad, and chocolate cake. It was a despedida for Iris, who is going to Casa Suyapa to be the coordinator there. I was in training to take her position, but fortunately I get to stay in first grade with my little sweeties. I think Momo is pulling for me to stay more than one year. Don't tell my mom. Here are some pics of the parade for your viewing pleasure.

2 comments: